*****IN ACCORDANCE WITH GUIDANCE SET BY THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA AND PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY ALL CLASSES OFFERED BY VCE ARE BEING OFFERED VIRTUALLY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PLEASE VISIT THE PROGRAM AREA WEBPAGES FOR FUTURE CLASSES . WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONTACT US BY EMAIL, TRADFORD@PWCGOV.ORG OR PHONE 703-792-4371*****
Education Makes a Difference!
Virginia Cooperative Extension is a cooperation of local, state and federal governments in partnership with tens of thousands of citizens. Our programs strengthen families and help protect the environment. Program content is based on the research conducted at the state's two land-grant universities: Virginia Tech and Virginia State University. Using feedback from the community, local extension offices design, implement and evaluate Cooperative Extension's programs.
Virginia Cooperative Extension was established through the Smith and Lever Act of 1914. The intent of this legislation was to support communities with demonstration of best practices and information for agricultural producers and their families through the family and consumer science and 4-H programs. As communities have become more urban and suburban in nature, VCE-Prince William's programs have evolved to meet the ever-changing needs of individuals in our community.
Educational programs are designed to:
- Enable families to better manage resources;
- Help youth become self-directing, contributing and productive members of society;
- Improve the impact of urban horticulture on the environment.
We are grateful to those individuals and families who choose to
volunteer with Virginia Cooperative Extension-Prince William
National Volunteer week is April 19-26, 2020. In honor, we celebrate our volunteers!!
During this special week, the Prince William Unit honors volunteers who have significantly given their time and effort to a program in the past year. For 2019-2020, we honor the following individuals for their service to the community:
For the 4-H Youth Development program, we honor Kelly Auldridge, Jay McPherson, and Liz Stogran. For the Environment and Natural Resources Program we honor Master Gardener Volunteers Janene Cullen, Patrick Lucas, and Jan Rice. In Financial Education and Housing Counseling, we honor Master Financial Educators Sandi Knight, Rizwana Saeed, and Ralph Sharp. In Parent Education Program we honor our Parent Education Facilitators Angela Baines, Ed and Liz Rodemsky, and Christine Savage. READ ABOUT THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS HEREVolunteer of the Month write up 2020.pdf
- In 2019, the VCE-Prince William unit serving the Greater Prince William Area engaged nearly 750 volunteers who provided more than 30,684 hours of volunteer service in the community. This is the equivalent of 15.75 full time employees. VCE offers several master volunteer programs that provide training opportunities in gardening and horticulture; natural resources management; water supply systems; financial education; housing counseling; parent education, communication in the family and hands-on educational programs designed to build leadership, citizenship, and life skills in Virginia 4-H, VCE's youth development program.
- The cumulative effort of Virginia Cooperative Extension Prince William volunteer contributions in 2019 equated to $780,294 in effort. This also equals about 15 full time staff equivalents that assist in delivering education and research-based information to the public. With the help of Staff and Volunteers over 19,202 citizens in the Greater Prince William area were served though our educational programs and services.
Tips and Tools Offered in Parenting Classes
Cooperative Extension offers the following programs:
8033 Ashton Avenue, Suite 105
Manassas, VA 20109
Extension is a joint program of Virginia Tech Virginia State University the U.S. Department of Agriculture and state and local governments. Virginia Cooperative Extension programs and employment are open to all regardless of race color religion sex age veteran status national origin disability or political affiliation. An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.