**Please Note: The Licensing Section will be closed on Nov. 9 and Nov. 10, 2020. The office will reopen for normal business on Nov. 12, 2020, following the Veterans Day holiday.**
Applications are processed at the Police Department's Licensing Section, 8406 Kao Circle, Manassas, VA 20110.
Applications are accepted only at the following times: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The following licenses and permits may be obtained by completing this application
. An individual may apply for all three licenses/permits on the same application, if applicable to their role in the business. The applicant must complete the entire application and bring it to the Police Department's Licensing Section. The application must be presented in person by the applicant and must be notarized by the Licensing Section. There is no charge for notary services. Valid identification is required (see below).
- A Pawnbroker License is issued to the owner of the business (covering all employees of the business), and is valid for the duration of time the business is operating after the application process is completed and approval is given by the Prince William County Circuit Court.
- A Secondhand Merchant License is issued to the manager or principal operator of the business (covering all employees of the business) and is valid for one year from the date issued. It may be renewed in the same manner as such permit was initially obtained. A list of items being purchased that qualify a business as a secondhand merchant are listed in County Code section 20.4-1.
- A Precious Metals and Gem Permit is issued to each employee of a business who wishes to conduct purchases, loans or acquisitions of precious metals or gems for the business. It is valid for one year from the date issued, and may be renewed in the same manner as such permit was initially obtained.
Permit Requirements and Fees
(Payment may be made in cash, or with the following credit/debit cards: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa)
Precious Metals and Gem Dealer Permit
- Completion of the application as described above.
- Payment of $200 application fee.
- Written verification of inspection and approval of all weighing devices to be used in the business, issued within the last year.
Secondhand Merchant License
Completion of the application as described above.
There is no application fee; however, a nominal fee for fingerprinting services may be assessed.
Valid Identification (all applicants must have:)
- Current driver’s license with photograph, or a valid DMV photograph ID card with current address
- Proof of Citizenship (required if):
- The applicant is a U.S. citizen, but not born in the U.S.; then he or she must show proof of citizenship. Only one of two documents will be accepted as proof: a valid U.S. passport or a naturalization certificate.
- The applicant is not a U.S. citizen; then he or she must show a valid Resident Alien card, or another official document issued by the ICE or the U.S. State Department, before a permit will be issued to the applicant.
- For additional documents that may be accepted please click here.
Questions should be directed to the Police Department's Licensing Section at 703-792-4183.