Prince William County, VA… National Crime Prevention Month is winding down, but the Prince William County Police Department reminds residents that your personal safety is important every day. Always be aware of your surroundings. This is known as situational awareness.
Here are some situational awareness tips to live by:
- Stay alert. Do not be distracted by cell phones and other devices but keep your phone handy. Walk confidently.
- Be aware of your surroundings and observant of suspicious people, escape routes and barriers.
- Follow your intuition. If something does not seem right it probably is not right.
- Walk near a group, if you are alone, to make it appear otherwise. There is safety in numbers.
- Know your strengths and capabilities.
- Take a self-defense course such as R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense).
- Have a plan of action to increase your chances of survival. There is no plan that will work in all situations. Your actions may include remaining calm, cooperating, escaping, screaming, disabling your attacker, or a combination of several actions.
National Crime Prevention Month brings heightened awareness to County residents of how to work with police to avoid becoming the victim of a crime. For more information, call the Crime Prevention Unit at 703-792-7270.