Prince William County, VA… Halloween – on a Saturday this year – has become a dangerous and deadly time of year due to a jump in drunk driving. Nearly half of the nation's traffic fatalities that occur around Halloween are tied to alcohol abuse, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
To combat this, the Prince William County Police urge all Halloween party-goers to designate a sober driver. In addition, police remind all motorists to wear a safety belt as the best defense against an impaired driver.
Are you planning to attend an awesome party, even during the COVID-19 pandemic? Make sure to designate a sober driver as part of your planning. Are you planning to host an awesome party? Make sure your guests have a responsible ride home or can sleep at your place until they are sober enough to drive themselves.
The message is simple this Halloween – "Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving." Anyone planning to have alcoholic drinks this Halloween should play it smart and designate a sober driver before the party begins.
Prince William County Police offer these reminders for a safer Halloween:
- Be responsible and never drive impaired.
- If you plan to drink, choose your sober driver before going out.
- Once impaired ask a sober friend to get you home. If all else fails, just stay where you are and sleep it off.
- Always buckle up – it is still your best defense against an impaired driver.
- If you are hosting a Halloween party, make sure all your guests leave with a sober driver.
Designate a sober driver – do not let your Halloween turn into a real-life nightmare.