Sign In

Trending Searches: Job OpportunitiesParks | Library

Police Department
Peddler Solicitor Vendor

​​​Any person desiring to act as a peddler, solicitor or itinerant vendor in Prince William County must comply with all provisions of Article II, Sections 18-17 through 18-30, of the Prince William County Code.

Please see the flow chart to help you visualize the process from start to finish!

Step 1:  Solicitor - Peddler - Vendor Application Process (download the application)

  • Bring completed application to the Police Department's Licensing Section, 8406 Kao Circle, Manassas, VA 20110. Applications are accepted only at the following times:  Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
    • The application must be presented in person and will be notarized by the Licensing Section at no additional charge.
  • The application must include Federal Tax ID (EIN) Number. You may apply for your federal tax ID number online through the Internal Revenue Service's online application.
  • The applicant must bring a $5,000 personal surety bond. The bond will name the individual, not the company, as the principal.  The Prince William Board of County Supervisors, 1 County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192, will be named as the obligee.
    • The bond may be obtained through an insurance agency.
    • The original bond must be presented to the Licensing Section. Copies, faxes, or any other reproductions will not be accepted.
  • All applicants must provide the following identification:
    • Current driver’s license with photograph or a valid DMV photograph ID card with current address
    • Valid Social Security card
    • Proof of citizenship – required if the applicant is a U.S. citizen, but not born in the U.S. Acceptable forms of ID are valid U.S. passport or a naturalization certificate.
    • Proof of residency or work authorization – required if the applicant is not a U.S. citizen. Acceptable forms of ID are a valid Resident Alien card, work authorization card, or another official document issued by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or the U.S. State Department.
  • $20 processing fee - There is a $20 processing fee for each application. Payment may be made in cash or by credit card.
  • Vehicle information (required for those vending from a vehicle) - present a valid vehicle registration card and proof of insurance for the vehicle.
  • DCJS registration (if applicable) – Individuals who will be selling alarm services must be registered as an “Electronic Security Sales Representative” by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justices Services (DCJS). Proof of compliance must be presented before a permit will be issued. Click here for more information.
  • Applicants will be fingerprinted and photographed as part of a background check.
  • Applicants will be given a Business License Authorization Form and a Health Department Authorization Form, if applicable. 

Step 2:  Business License Requirement

  • Applicants will take the Business License Authorization Form to the Department of Finance, 1 County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192. The annual license tax for peddlers and itinerant vendors is $500 for each business.
  • An additional step is required for mobile food units. (see below)

Step 3:  Issuance of Permit

  • Police Department Licensing Staff will contact the applicant when their background check is complete.  (This may take up to 21 days)
  • Applicant will return to the Police Department with a copy of the business license and a permit will be issued.

Additional Steps for Mobile Food Units:

  • Applicants will take the Health Department Authorization Form to the Virginia Department of Health, 8470 Kao Circle Manassas, VA 20110. Call 703-792-6310, Option 1, for questions.
  • Any individual or company that will be selling food items prepared on site may need to be inspected by the Health Department.
  • Any individual selling items prepared in a commercial kitchen and vended from a mobile unit may need to obtain approval from the Virginia Department of Agriculture.

Additional Steps for Mobile Food Unit Events:

  • Mobile Food Units wishing to vend on private property in groups of 2-4 will need to follow all the above requirements, plus obtain a Temporary Activities Permit from the Prince William County Zoning Administration Division.
  • Mobile Food Units participating in an event organized by a permitted Itinerant Event Sponsor are exempted from obtaining a Solicitor, Peddler, and Itinerant Vendor Permit and Permit Business License. However, they will need to obtain a Health Department Certificate or a Temporary Health Department Permit.

Additional Steps for Itinerant Vendor Event Sponsors:

  • Bring completed Itinerant Vendor Event Sponsor application in person to the Police Department's Licensing Section, 8406 Kao Circle, Manassas, VA 20110.
  • Individuals wishing to obtain an Itinerant Vendor Event Sponsor Permit will follow the same steps as a Solicitor, Peddler, Itinerant Vendor, including obtaining the Peddler Business License.
  • $15,000 surety bond.
  • Obtain a Temporary Activities Permit from Zoning.

Additional information is contained in this Licensing Section memorandum and the Mobile Food Unit Requirements.

Questions should be directed to the Police Department's Licensing Section at 703-792-4183.


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.