*COVID-19 change in zoning approval application process
*There is now a Zoning Counter window open to accept zoning approval applications from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Updated: September 21, 2020
Updates to Zoning Application Processes Now in Effect
In immediate effect, all homeowners, industry, developers, contractors, and permit runners with zoning submissions are asked to submit applications as follows:
Industry/Developers/Contractors and Permit Runners: A new option only for industry/developers/contractors and permit runners:
The Zoning Branch is now accepting ALL TYPES of zoning applications electronically
beginning September 21, 2020. All submissions must be in PDF format.
Residential: For residential homeowners, we continue to accept zoning applications:
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We are working to expand electronic services to all customers. Until that is possible, we are monitoring commercial workloads to ensure we have the capacity to increase services to residents without generating a backlog and poor customer service.
Your submission should include the zoning application found here:
As well as the following documents and payment:
A copy of your plat with location of structure shown with setback distances from property lines.
The fee in the form of a check, made out to "Prince William County" OR we are now accepting credit card payment over the phone. No cash!
If no check is included in mailed or dropped off applications a Zoning Technician will contact you for payment.
Please be sure to provide a contact name, phone number, and email address on all correspondence so we can contact you if necessary.
For questions please call 703-792-6830 to leave a message for a Zoning Counter Technician who will return your call.
To apply for zoning approval for a residential swimming pool:
- A Processing fee in cash, check, or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover) in accordance with the current Fee Schedule.
- Special Power of Attorney Affidavit: Required if the applicant is not the homeowner or a registered Prince William County contractor.
- Provide three (3) copies (to-scale) of the house location survey plat, with the proposed swimming pool drawn to scale.
Written authorization from the Department of Public Works, Watershed Branch is required if the swimming pool is constructed in a Resource Protection Area (visit the GIS County Mapper to view RPA and other overlay districts) and must be obtained prior to application for zoning approval. The Department of Public Works, Watershed Branch is located at 5 County Complex Court, Suite 170 in Prince William. The Branch may be contacted at 703-792-7070.
- Written approval from the Prince William County Health Department is required for all lots with a well or septic system.
- All detached structures, including the pool and deck, must be located at least five (5) feet from the dwelling.
- Please note that any future decks connected to the pool must meet the minimum required setbacks.
- If lot is three (3) acres or less:
- the pool can be located in the rear yard only;
- the pool (and pool equipment) must be at least five (5) feet from rear and side property lines.
- If lot is greater than three (3) acres:
- the pool may be located in any yard area, but must maintain the same setbacks as for the primary structure in that zoning district.
Do I have to put a fence around my pool?
The building code requires a barrier around pools. The barrier must be at least 4’ high, and has various requirements based on the type of barrier and the type of pool, spa or hot tub. For more information please see Barrier Requirements
or contact Building Development
For more information on Swimming Pools, call 703-792-6830.