About 1,000 Books before kindergarten
We invite you to help your children develop the important pre-reading skills that provide a solid reading foundation – a key to school and learning success – by participating in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge. 1,000 Books, you say? It sounds like a lot, but if you share one picture book each day with your child, by the end of the year you will have read 365 books, and over 1,000 books in less than 3 years. Read 2-3 books each day and you can reach the 1,000 book goal within one year.
Sign Up for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
There are three ways to sign up:
- Sign up at any Prince William Public Library branch and pick up a printed reading log. If you are eager to begin, click on the fox to print your first log.
- Register on a computer by clicking
- Register using a mobile device: download and install the Beanstack Tracker app from
Apple iTunes or
Download and print your 1,000 Books Reading log
How does it work?
- Read together
- Color or check off an acorn for each book you read. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library storytime, at daycare or by others to your child also count!
- When you finish 100 books, bring your sheet to the library and have it stamped “completed.” Collect your next page.
- Repeat steps 1-3 at each level.
- Earn special rewards along the way!
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child will Receive a book and a certificate
Have his or her name placed on our Wall of Fame
Get an awesome jumpstart on success in school
Tips for Your Child's Success
We've created a "101 Books to Read Before Kindergarten" Booklist for recommendations on what to read.
Color or check off an acorn for each book you read or log the book through your online account through Beanstack.
If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library story time, at daycare, or by others to your child also count!
When your child finishes 100 books, bring the completed sheet to the library and have it stamped “completed” and collect the next page. If you're keeping track through Beanstack, come in after your child has received an online "badge."
Repeat the steps at each level.
Earn special rewards along the way!