Building Development Division COVID19 Response
Special Inspections Remote (Video) Inspection Process
UPDATED: April 9, 2020
Effective April 13, 2020.
The status and instructions herein may change as our inspection processes evolve.
Special Inspections Section
5 County Complex Court
Woodbridge, VA 22192
Phone (703) 792-6112
Remote (Video) Inspections
To enable Video inspections, the Special Inspection Engineer of Record (SIER) must have an electronic device that can connect with county inspectors who are equipped with an Apple iPad. Use the following methods to connect with a county inspector:
- FaceTime: Connecting with a county inspector is easy using FaceTime. When it is time for your inspection, the county inspector will FaceTime you. This option is not available with Android phones.
- Skype for Business: You will need to install the Skype for Business app on your device. County inspectors will connect to you through a meeting request. Don't forget to turn on your video and unmute your mic.
County inspectors will coordinate your video inspection and verify one of the apps listed above is available. The SIER must be prepared to use their mobile device's camera to show the inspector the areas of construction ready for inspection. Be prepared to verify the address of the property using your device. County-approved plans must still be available onsite. Video inspections are at the discretion of the inspector and may not be possible in all cases. The video inspection must be conducted by the SIER certifying the special inspections.
Please email the forms to SpecialInspections@pwcgov.org and mail the original form to the Special Inspection Section
Video Inspection Process
- Schedule your inspection in advance with the county Special Inspector.
- Prepare for your video inspection:
- Ensure you have the necessary tools (based on the inspection type) readily available. For example, a tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder, and/or flashlight, etc.
- Make sure your mobile device is fully charged.
- Turn off phone or tablet notifications. Notifications can freeze the video feed during the call and could cause delays or require the inspection to be rescheduled
- Accept the incoming video call at the scheduled time.
- Please follow the direction of the inspector during the inspection.
Your inspector will tell you in the video call if the inspection has passed or failed. Results will be processed in the ePortal system by the end of the day on which the inspection occurred.
The inspector is limited on what they can verify during this video inspection. The Permit Holder is responsible in ensuring all work installed meets the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC).
If you wish to suspend your construction project for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Prince William County Building Official will extend your permits past the expiration threshold of six-months of inactivity. However, you cannot continue construction without the mandatory inspections performed.