Building Development Division
Building Construction Inspections Remote (Video) Inspection Process
UPDATED: April 9, 2020
Effective April 13, 2020.
The status and instructions herein may change as our inspection processes evolve.
Construction Inspections Information:
Construction Inspection Branch
4379 Ridgewood Center Drive Suite 202
Woodbridge, VA. 22192
Phone (703) 792-7006
- Hours of operations 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM M-F
- Email BDDInspections@pwcgov.org
Self-Certification by Licensed Contractor
Licensed contractors can use the following certifications instead of performing inspections by the Inspection Branch
Please email the forms to BDDInspections@pwcgov.org and mail the original form to the Construction Inspection Office
Remote (Video) Inspections
To enable Video inspections, the inspection requestor must have an electronic device that can connect with county inspectors and their Apple iPads. Use the following methods to connect with a county inspector:
- FaceTime: Connecting with a county inspector is easy using FaceTime. When it is time for your inspection, the county inspector will FaceTime you. This option is not available with Android phones.
- Google Duo: You will need to install the Goggle Duo app on your device. County inspectors will call you at your scheduled time. Don't forget to turn on your video and unmute your mic.
- Skype for Business: You will need to install the Skype for Business app on your device. County inspectors will connect to you through a meeting request. Don't forget to turn on your video and unmute your mic.
County inspectors will coordinate your video inspection and verify one of the apps above during their morning calls. The inspection requestor must be prepared to use their mobile device's camera and microphone to show the inspector the areas of construction ready for inspection. Be prepared to verify the address of the property using your device. County-approved plans must still be available onsite. Video inspections are at the discretion of the inspector and may not be possible in all cases.
Video Inspection Process
- Schedule your inspection through the IVR or ePortal
- Prepare for your video inspection:
- The inspector will call you between 7:30 AM & 9:00 AM to arrange a time for your inspection.
- Ensure you have the necessary tools (based on the inspection type) readily available. For example, a tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder, and/or flashlight, etc.
- Make sure your mobile device is fully charged.
- Turn off phone or tablet notifications. Notifications can freeze the video feed during the call and could cause delays or require the inspection to be rescheduled
- Accept the incoming video call initiated by your inspector at the scheduled time.
- Please follow the direction of the inspector during the inspection.
Your inspector will tell you in the video call if the inspection has passed or failed. Results will be processed in the ePortal system by the end of the day on which the inspection occurred.
The inspector is limited to what they can verify during this video inspection. The Permit Holder is responsible for ensuring all work installed meets the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC)
If you wish to suspend your construction project for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Prince William County Building Official will extend your permits past the expiration threshold of six-months of inactivity. However, you cannot continue construction without the mandatory inspections performed.