Absentee Voting Information
Absentee Ballot Applications may be submitted up to 12 months prior to an Election.
Registered voters unable to go to the polls on Election Day may vote by Absentee ballot. You may vote absentee by mail or in-person.
To vote absentee by mail, fill out an Absentee Ballot Application. Read and follow the instructions exactly. Your application should be returned promptly, but must be received by the Registrar at least seven days before the election. The Prince William County Electoral Board will send you by return mail an absentee ballot, which you must mark and mail back or deliver in person in time to reach the Board before the polls close on Election Day. Mailed ballots may be returned by mail or delivered by the voter to whom the ballot was sent, they may not be delivered by a third party. Please Mail Application to: Prince William County Office of Elections, 9250 Lee Ave, Suite 1, Manassas, VA 20110, Attn: Absentee Ballot Request.
In-person absentee voting is available 45 days before General and Primary Elections. To vote absentee in-person, visit the General Registrar's Office during any business day within the applicable time frame, fill out the absentee voting application, and vote on the in-person absentee voting machine all in one visit. In-person absentee voting ends at 5:00 p.m. on the Saturday before each election. State law requires the General Registrar's Office to be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for in-person absentee voting the two Saturdays immediately preceding each Federal & State General Elections and one Saturday immediately preceding each local election and primary.
Out of the country? Uniformed military? There are several different ways to apply to vote absentee. You may be qualified for more than one type of Absentee application based on your individual situation. To determine what is best for you contact our office; or go the State Board of Elections website; or go to the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.
Permanently unable to go to the Polls because of a disability or chronic illness? There is a special annual absentee application program that will allow people to apply once a year to automatically receive an absentee ballot for all General Elections. Download the annual application here.
Absentee Voting Dates & Deadlines
November 8, 2016 U.S. General Election
Absentee Voting by Mail:
• Application for a ballot to be mailed must be received in our office via fax, email, or mail by 5PM, Tuesday, November 1, 2016.
• Ballots must be received to be counted by 7pm, Tuesday, November 8, 2016.
Absentee Voting – In Person:
• Absentee voting begins: Friday, September 23, 2016.
• In-person absentee voting will be available at several sites in Prince William County Monday through Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM (schedule varies per location and closed on County holidays).
• In-person absentee will also be available on Saturday, October 29th & November 5th from 8:30AM-5:00PM.
• Last day to vote in-person absentee: Saturday, November 5, 2016 till 5PM.