What is it like to work on Election Day?
Arrive at 5 a.m. Election Officers arrive, are sworn in, and sign the Oath Form.
Set up the voting area including:
• Arrange tables and chairs.
• Set up tables with Electronic Pollbooks, Card Activator, various forms, and other election materials.
• Place and set up voting machines.
All officers together must verify the number of official Paper Ballots received.
Verify Ballot Bag is empty, then lock it with a plastic locking-tie; place Ballot Bag in a conspicuous place.
Using Absentee Applicant List mark AB Voters in Electronic Pollbooks, if not already marked; Chief Officer takes custody of AB List during the day.
Post all required signs inside and outside. Be sure to post Sample Ballot signs in conspicuous places.
Post Disabled/Elderly Entrance, Directional, and Parking signs conspicuously, where needed.
ID requirements have changed effective July 1, 2014 for Virginia elections (ID Requirements-VA
Set up EDGE Voting Machines: one officer reads Edge Machine Instructions while another sets up machines.
Verify that Protective and Public Counter Numbers from all machines are accurately logged onto the SORs and the No. 7 Envelope.
Print, sign (by Chief and 1 Officer), and post your Zero Tapes side-by-side on conspicuous wall near the voting machines.
Set up Electronic Pollbooks following instructions.
Polling Place must be set up and ready to open at 6 a.m.
6 a.m. Polls Open.
Each polling place has at least three Election Officers. Duties may be rotated as the Chief determines. Some elections may not require Activator Cards; some will require more Officers.
Pollbook Officer duties include:
• Check identification to verify voters.
• Check-In each voter on the Electronic Pollbook.
• Hand voters a voting permit and direct them to the next station.
Card Activator Officer duties include:
• Receive voting permits from voters and prepare activator cards.
• Return properly encoded activator cards to voters.
• Return used voting permits to Pollbook Officer as necessary.
Voting Machine Officer duties include:
• Demonstrate voting machine operations as needed.
• Assist voters with “Request for Assistance” forms.
• Collect activator cards and issue “I Voted” stickers.
• Clean and calibrate voting machines periodically.
• Return used activator cards to Card Activator Officer as necessary.
7 p.m. Polls Close.
Doors are locked; all voters inside at 7 p.m. are allowed to vote.
When all voters have cast their ballots, begin end-of-day processing:
• Check Electronic Pollbook numbers; record on Statement Of Result; close Electronic Pollbooks.
• Officers close all voting machines and sign the machine Results Tapes.
• Cut plastic locking tie on Ballot Bag.
• Remove any Provisional Ballots (in green envelopes) from the Ballot Bag and place in Env # 1A. DO NOT COUNT THESE.
• Remove and count votes on other Paper Ballots, if any. Record these votes onto “Paper Ballot Work Sheet.”
• Remove posted signs from inside and outside polling area.
• Discard one-time use (taped on) paper signs.
• DO NOT discard laminated signs. Remove tape and pack as directed.
• Give Chief Officer the posted Zero Tapes from the EDGE voting machines.
Complete the STATEMENT OF RESULTS:
• Assist with the filling out and verification of both copies (total votes cast for all candidates/questions on machines and paper).
• All Officers must sign both copies of Statement of Results after both copies have been completed by separate teams, the figures totaled, and both copies agree.
• Assist with collection of election materials and packing of contents into Official Return Envelopes (nos. 1A-10), and packing of other supplies.
• Complete, Sign, and Seal Official Return Envelopes:
Envelope # 3: ALL Officers must sign and date Label/Seal.
Envelope # 1A: Two Officers must sign and date Certification (on Back) and Label/Seal.
Envelope # 7: Back of envelope must be completed.
Envelopes # 2, 2A, 4, 5, 6, and 7: Two Officers must sign and date Label/Seal on each.
Leave the Polling Place as clean as you found it.