Certification and Recertification Training for pesticide applicators and registered technicians is offered regionally by the VCE Northern District Horticulture Agents throughout the year.
In Northern Virginia, Pesticide Certification Training is offered in late fall/early winter. Recertification trainings are usually offered in June. See the VDACS webpage for Schedule of Virginia Approved Commercial Recertification Training Courses in Virginia.
Private Applicators may take the Private Exam at the local Extension office. To make an appointment, please call or email the Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) Extension Agent at 703-792-4671 email@example.com
For more information on Pesticide Applicator Certificates and Licenses you can go to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) website.
Virginia Pesticide Applicator Training Manuals are available through the Virginia Tech Distribution center.
Optional exam prep courses can be found at the Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs site.
UPCOMING REGIONAL PESTICIDE TRAINING
Click here for the Pesticide Training Brochure
December 2016 Regional Pesticide Certification Training
A Pesticide certification preparation course will be offered in two locations in December
Please read the following carefully to see if this training will fit your needs
CORE, Registered Technician, Private Applicator and 1A Training
Training and locations; please refer to brochure for times and fees
December 16th, Old Manassas Courthouse, 9248 Lee Ave, Manassas, VA
• This training will cover information in the CORE Manual and be followed by the Private applicator exam and the Registered Technician (RT) Exam. Those taking the RT Exam will need to come with a letter from VDACS authorizing you to take the exam. The information for how to do this is on the back of this page.
Questions? Please contact VCE Prince William, Jennifer Graham at 703-792-6285 firstname.lastname@example.org
December 20th and/or 21st
VCE Madison, 2 South Main St., War Memorial Building, 2nd Floor, Madison, VA
• The first day of this training will cover information in the CORE Manual and be followed by the Private applicator exam and the Registered Technician (RT) Exam. Those taking the RT Exam will need to come with a letter from VDACS authorizing you to take the exam. The information for how to do this is on the back of this page. Those taking the Private Applicator Exam will not need a letter from VDACS.
• The second day of this training will cover information in the Agricultural Plant Pest Manual and prepare students to pass the Commercial Applicator category 1A exam. The exam will follow and again one will need a letter from VDACS.. More information on this is on the reverse.
Questions? Please contact VCE Greene Susan Bro at 540-985-8236 email@example.com
Who Needs Registered Technician or Private Pesticide Applicator Training & Category 1A Certifications?
• Operate under the supervision of a commercial applicator when applying restricted-use pesticides
• Have not completed the requirements for commercial certification
• Can apply general use pesticides without supervision
• Use restricted use pesticides on their own property or property they lease
Commercial Applicator (1A)
• Apply pesticides for hire to agricultural plants in Virginia
• Can apply general use pesticides or restricted use pesticides without supervision
The fees for this training do not include the License Application Testing Fee. To sit for the Exam for any of these classes you must also apply with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services for the certification you seek.
To determine which type of License/Certification you need check this website:
Once you have paid the proper fee, you will receive a letter of recommendation to take the Registered Technician or Category 1A Exam.
There is no fee for Private Applicators. Bring this letter and a government issued photo identification when taking the exam.
This is a Review Class - There is no guarantee you will pass the exam(s), without studying on your own. You must order your manual(s) from Virginia Tech prior to the class. You may order the manuals from this website: http://vtpp.ext.vt.edu/training-1/training-aides-available-through-vtpp/virginia-pesticide-applicator-training-manuals
• The CORE Manual is Pub #456-210
• Agricultural Plant Pest Control is Pub #456-214
You are responsible for reading and studying the manual(s) before taking the exam.
Pesticide certification exams may also be taken at any local Department of Motor Vehicles Customer Service Center with a letter of recommendation to take the exam from VDACS. To find a local DMV Customer Service Center go to: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/utilities/offices.asp
This program, sponsored by the Northern District Horticulture Agents, rotates yearly in the Northern Virginia region