Sign In

Trending Searches: Job OpportunitiesParks | Library

Social Services
Adult Protective Services
Reporting Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
  • Always call 9-1-1 anytime there is an emergency situation with adult abuse or neglect!
  • During business hours (Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.), call the Department of Social Services at 703-792-4200. 
  • After business hours (4 p.m. to 8 a.m.) and on the weekends, call the Prince William County Police non-emergency number at 703-792-6500; or the Virginia State Hotline at 1-800-552-7096 or APS Hotline at 1-888-832-3858. 
What to do if you suspect abuse/neglect?
iStock_000017172581XSmall[1].JPGThe Department of Social Services is responsible for providing Protective Services to adults in our community. This consists of the receipt and prompt investigation of valid reports of abuse, neglect and exploitation of individuals with disabilities who are 18 years of age or older or anyone over the age of 60. The investigation includes an assessment to determine if the adult needs protective services, and if so, the arrangement of the appropriate services.



Who are mandated reporters?
Any person licensed, certified or registered by health regulatory boards listed in §54.1-2503, except licensed by the Board of Veterinary Medicine:
  • Board of Audiology and Speech Pathology: Audiologists; Speech-Language Pathologists; School Speech-Language Pathologists
  • Board of Counseling: Licensed Professional Counselors; Certified Substance Abuse Counselors; Counseling Assistants; Certified Rehabilitation Providers; Marriage and Family Therapists; Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioners
  • Board of Dentistry: Dentists and Dental Hygienists
  • Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers: Funeral Service Providers Directors and Embalmers; Resident Trainees; Crematories; Surface Transportation and Removal Services; Courtesy Card Holders
  • Board of Long-Term Care Administrators: Nursing Home Administrators
  • Board of Medicine: Doctors of Medicine; Surgery Osteopathic Medicine Podiatry and Chiropractic; Interns and Residents; University Limited Licenses; Physician Assistants; Respiratory and Occupational Therapists; Radiological Technologists and Technologists Limited; Licensed Acupuncturists; Certified Athletic Trainers
  • Board of Nursing: Registered Nurses (RN); Licensed Nurse Practitioners (LNP); Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN); Clinical Nurse Specialists; Certified Massage Therapists; Certified Nurses Aides (CNA)
  • Board of Optometry: Optometrists
  • Board of Pharmacy: Pharmacists Pharmacy Interns and Technicians; Permitted Physicians; Medical Equipment Suppliers; Restricted Manufacturers; Humane Societies; Physicians Selling Drugs; Wholesale Distributors;
  • Board of Physical Therapy: Physical Therapists and Physical Therapists Assistants
  • Board of Psychology: School Clinical and Applies Psychologists; Sex Offender Treatment Providers; School Psychologists - Limited
  • Board of Social Work: Registered Social Workers; Associate Social Workers; Licensed Social Workers; Licensed Clinical Social Workers
  • Any mental health services provider as defined in §54.1-2400.1
  • Any emergency medical services personnel certified by the Board of Health pursuant to §32.1-111.5
  • Any guardian or conservator or an adult
  • Any person employed by or contracted with a public or private agency or facility and working with adults in an administrative supportive or direct care capacity
  • Any person providing full intermittent or occasional care to an adult for compensation including but not limited to companion chore homemaker and personal care workers
  • Any law enforcement officer
Adult Long Term Care
  • Medicaid long-term care screenings are conducted with nursing staff from the Health Department.
  • Companion services are performed by an individual provider who assists adults unable to care for themselves without assistance and where there is no one available to provide the needed services without cost. Those services are provided to the extent that federal and/or state funds are made available and are designed for low-income clients of the Department of Social Services. Companion services include light housekeeping, meal preparation, dressing supervision and/or companionship. To inquire about becoming a companion provider, call 703-792-7500.
  • Prince William guardianship reports are reviewed for adult protective services concerns.


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.