Sheriff Glendell Hill announces each year when applications are being accepted for the Virginia Sheriffs’ Scholarship program. This scholarship was established to provide an opportunity for young people across Virginia to pursue an educational curriculum in criminal justice. Accordingly, the Board of Directors has established the application process for students to receive scholarships to assist in their educational endeavors. The scholarships are available only to students in jurisdictions where sheriffs participated in the scholarship fund raising efforts. This program is limited to students attending Virginia colleges and universities.
Scholarship Program Policies
- Eligibility: students must live in a locality where the sheriff is a member of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute and has authorized the Institute to conduct a direct mail special appeal to raise funds for the scholarship program.
- Applications must be received in the Prince William County Sheriff's Office by April 22, 2013. Postmarks will not be accepted; however, faxes will be (Fax: 703-792-7485). The deadline will be adhered to. (DO NOT send directly to Virginia Sheriffs' Institute; the Sheriff's Office will mail to VSI office by the May 1, 2013 deadline.)
- Two types of scholarships will be awarded, one to full-time students and one to part-time students. All the scholarship awards to students will be consistent, i.e. all check amounts will be the same, depending on the type.
- Only majors in the criminal justice field will qualify for a scholarship. Those majoring in law or pursuing a career as a lawyer will not be considered a criminal justice major.
- Only students accepted to Virginia colleges and universities will be considered.
- Applications must be complete, or the student will not be considered.
- Checks will be mailed to the individual sheriffs’ offices by the end of May 2013.
- Checks will be made payable to the educational institution indicated on the application.
- Letters of rejection will be mailed to students directly from the VSI office.
- Letter of Recommendation from Local Sheriff?
- Application Complete?
- Majoring in Criminal Justice Field (Not Law)?
- Attending Virginia College or University?
- Application Received in the Prince William County Sheriff's Office (not VSI Office) by April 13, 2012?
- Essay Attached?
- High School Transcripts attached for incoming freshman applicants only?
- College Transcripts attached for currently enrolled college students?
- Proof of Acceptance from College or University Attached?
- S.A.T. Scores Attached for incoming freshman applicants only?
Click here to download the 2013 application.
2013 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM POLICIES
Note: Letter of recommendation from Sheriff Hill will be attached to your application after you submit your application to Sheriff's Office, prior to submittal to Virginia Sheriff's Institute.
2013 Scholarship recipients are as follows:
- Ashley Cypress from Hylton High School will be attending Hampton University
- Zachery Endy from Forest Park High School will be attending George Mason University
- Chai A. Fuller from Brentsville High School will be attending Radford University
Pictured: Sheriff Hill and Ashley Cypress Pictured: Sheriff Hill and Zachary Endy
Pictured: Sheriff Hill and Chai Fuller