1732 Robert “King” Carter patents 8,000 acres of Prince William County to Robert Carter II.
1745 Robert “Councillor” Carter inherits 70,000 acres in Virginia, 5,000 of which are in Prince William.
1791 “Councillor” Carter submits his “Deed of Gift” to Northumberland District Court, which sets in motion the gradual emancipation of 452 of his slaves, making Carter the largest slave-owner to voluntarily free his slaves in American history.
1830 “Councillor” Carter’s grandson Benjamin Tasker Chinn inherits Cancer plantation. Settles in Prince William County with 10 slaves.
1832 The main house, smokehouse, dairy, and slave quarters are built.
1836 Chinn marries Edmonia Randolph Carter who changes the plantation’s name to Ben Lomond, after her family’s ancestral home.
1849 Chinn leases 1,800 acres to Horatio Andrews of New York.
1850 The Andrews family with the additional help of one slave and William Randall, William Hampshire, and Catherine Jackson, all hired out free blacks, grow corn and wheat and tend to 500 Merino sheep.
1851 Chinns move to Hazel Plain and lease Ben Lomond to Benjamin Thornton.
1852 Thornton leases Ben Lomond to the Pringle Family.
1852 Pringles farm Ben Lomond, focusing on the 500 Merino sheep that are on the property.
Lease out local enslaved workers and hire out free blacks to help with the work.
1861 Main house is converted into the Pringle House Hospital treating wounded Confederate soldiers, after the Battle of First Manassas.
1862 Passing Union soldiers cover Ben Lomond with graffiti.
1865 The Civil War ends and the Pringles leave Ben Lomond.
1870 The Chinns trade Ben Lomond and move into a townhouse in Washington, D.C.
1901 John Rixey purchases the house, turning the grounds into a major dairying operation.
1910 Rear-Admiral Presley Marion Rixey, Surgeon General of the United States, inherits the property. President Theodore Roosevelt visits the property many times.
1915 Frederich and Emma Bruch buy the property, spending thousands of dollars to create “one of the finest dairy and horse-breeding estates in the country”.
1927 Ben Lomond is divided and auctioned off to several different buyers.
1951 Robert Garner, Vice-President of the World Bank purchases the property that consists of the main house and outbuildings.
1966 Garner sells 814 acres to the Weaver Brothers Corporation who develop the land.
1983 Ben Lomond is purchased by Prince William County.
2011 Ben Lomond is rededicated and opened to the public as a historic house museum.