1732 Robert “King” Carter patents 8,000 acres of Prince William County to Robert Carter II
1745 Robert “Councillor” Carter inherits 70,000 acres in Virginia, 5,000 of which are in Prince William
1776 “Councillor” Carter renames his Prince William plantation “Cancer Plantation”
1791 “Councillor” Carter submits his “Deed of Gift” to Northumberland District Court, which sets in motion the gradual emancipation of 452 of his slaves, making Carter the largest slave-owner to voluntarily free his slaves in American history.
1804 “Councillor” Carter dies
1830 “Councillor” Carter’s grandson Benjamin Tasker Chinn inherits Cancer plantation. Settles in Prince William County with 10 slaves
1832 Main house, smokehouse, dairy, and slave quarters built
1838 Chinn marries Edmonia Randolph Carter who changes the plantation’s name to Ben Lomond, after her family’s ancestral home
1849 Chinn leases 1,800 acres to Horatio Andrews of New York.
1850 The Andrews family with the additional help of one slave and William Randall, William Hampshire, and Catherine Jackson, all hired out free blacks, grow corn and wheat and tend to 500 Merino sheep.
1851 Chinns move to Hazel Plain; lease Ben Lomond to Benjamin Thornton
1851 Chinn sues Andrews for failure to pay rent, evicts the Andrews family
1852 Thornton leases Ben Lomond to the Pringle Family
1852 Pringles farm Ben Lomond, focusing on the 500 Merino sheep that are on the property.
Lease out local enslaved workers and hire out free blacks to help with the work.
1861 Main house is converted into the Pringle House Hospital treating wounded Confederate soldiers.
1862 Passing Union soldiers cover Ben Lomond with graffiti.
1865 Civil War ends. Pringles leave Ben Lomond.
1870 Chinns trade Ben Lomond for townhouse in Washington, D.C.
1901 John Rixey purchases the house, turning the grounds into a major dairying operation.
1910 Rear-Admiral Presley Marion Rixey, Surgeon General of the United States, inherits the property. President Theodore Roosevelt visits the property many times.
1915 F.W. and Emma Bruch buy the property, spending thousands of dollars to create “one of the finest dairy and horse-breeding estates in the country”.
1927 Ben Lomond is auctioned off.
1951 Robert Garner, Vice-President of the World Bank purchases the property.
1966 Garner sells 814 acres to the Weaver Brothers Corporation who develop the land.
2011 Ben Lomond is rededicated and opened to the public.