The Barnes House was built in the 19th century by the Barnes family, a local family of African American and American Indian descent. Eppa Barnes and Amanda Lambert Barnes were married on July 1, 1875, in Prince William County and raised 12 children at the home. Eppa Barnes was known as a farmer and woodsman; Amanda Barnes was a midwife early in the marriage and later became a school teacher.
This house was built just east of Independent Hill on the edge of Route 234, near what is now the Prince William County Landfill. In the 1930s the Barnes House, a Tidewater-style home, was renowned as a showplace for its flowers and beautiful decorations. The Barnes family no longer owns the property, but the family contributed greatly to this community.
Prince William County has moved the Barnes House from its original site in order to protect it from destruction during the widening of Route 234.Currently County staff is exploring options to move the home to a permanent location. The ultimate goal is to restore the home and use it for interpreting Prince William County's rich African American heritage. For more information on historic resources in the Prince William County area click here.