The Department of Public Works, Historic Preservation Division offers educational experiences for students, youth groups, and scouts. We offer field visits to our historic sites, including a colonial home, civil war hospital, an early County settlement and a civil war battle site. In addition, we can offer materials and guides for your classroom and youth meetings to guide conversations and spark interest in our local history. Finally, we can work with you to create custom programs and experiences to meet your needs. Call us at 703-792-4754 to discuss your needs and goals.
These tools, materials and assistance are available to you:
- Teaching guides and activities for specific learning experiences related to our sites, which can include a field trip component
- Travel Trunks that you can borrow for a hands on glimpse into a moment in history, complete with discussion guides and replicas of artifacts and clothing from that period
- Summer camps
- Junior preservationist program for older students to study and volunteer at historic sites, learn more
- Special events at our various historic properties throughout the year, view a complete list
- A badge program available at Rippon Lodge Historic Site
You can explore our various historic sites and offerings online. For more information on historic resources in the Prince William County area click here.
Call us for more information on Educational Programs and to discuss your needs at 703-792-4754 or 703-499-9812.