Everyone is encouraged to consider the benefits of planting native species in your yard and on your business grounds. Native plants offer a variety of benefits for the community, as well as bring natural beauty to any location.
We encourage you to consider natives when first creating gardens or when your replant at your home or business setting. Why Native? With natives planted in the right location,
- You will enjoy healthy plants since they are here naturally - they like the soil and the climate.
- You will have less work to maintain the plants since they are native to our area.
- You will save money since the plants are more likely to thrive here.
- You will provide natural habitat and food for butterflies, birds and pollinators.
- You can plant a variety of natives to thrive in the various settings (shade, full sun, wet soil and bloom schedule) on your property.
- You will enjoy beautiful plants as intended for our area!
Here are some organizations that can help you successfully plan, select, plant and care for your native species:
For plants truly native to the Northern Virginia area, please check out Native Plants for Northern Virginia posted on the pages at www.plantnovanatives.org
You can also contact the Master Gardeners and the Virginia Cooperative Extension for guidance. They can help you choose the right plant or plants to create the perfect spot. Contact the Extension Horticulture Help Desk at 703-792-7747 and one of the helpful Master Gardeners will assist you. Just describe the spot (sun, shade, wet or dry) and they will help you select a low maintenance, beautiful native tree, shrub or plant. You can also contact them by email at email@example.com In addition, they have a page dedicated to planting natives at http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/vce/pages/native-plants.aspx
There are classes on a variety of gardening and landscape topics offered throughout the year to help you. To learn more, please visit http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/vce/pages/enr-program-information.aspx.