Sign In

​Trending Searches:     Fire & Rescue Reform | Parks | Library

Sign Shop


The Prince William County Sign Shop
The Sign Shop inspects, fabricates, installs and maintains all street name signs as mandated by the Code of Virginia § 33.1-69.01, The Code of Ordinances, County of Prince William Sec. 24-3 and the DCSM Section 604.06.  In addition, the Sign Shop produces high quality graphics for the County’s public safety vehicles and creates original graphic designs for and provide quality custom interior and exterior signs, banners, posters and displays for all County agencies, outside jurisdictions and developers. 
Street Name Signs
All street name signs are fabricated per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) standards as set force in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).    Please call 703-792-5765 or 703-792-6268 to report any missing or damaged street name signs and/or poles.  You can also e-mail the shop at 
Sign Facts


  • Developers name streets with the approval of the County’s GIS Office and final approval from the Board of County Supervisors.  Citizens can petition to change a street name through the same approval process. 
  •  Developers initially purchase and post street name signs in the community they are building.
  • The punishment for stealing, removing or damaging a sign is a misdemeanor that carries a fine up to $2500 and a jail sentence up to one year.
  •  Posting signs on public highways or streets by citizens is against the law, whether they be standard highway or simple cardboard signs.
Purchasing Signs
If you would like to purchase street name signs or other signs for private developments please call us at 703-792-5765 or 703-792-6268. The Sign Shop is located at 14877 Dumfries Road, Manassas.  Our hours of operations are between 7:30 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.  
Other Signs and Traffic Signal Issues
The County is not responsible for placing stop signs, speed limit signs, or other traffic signs. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is responsible for placing and replacing these signs. You can contact VDOT at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623). You can also call them to report when traffic signals are not functioning properly.
The requirements for placing signs to mark parking for people with disabilities are federally mandated and must meet ADA requirements.  For more information on VDOT signs please see their website or call the local residency office at 703-383-VDOT.

 Sign Shop


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.