What is Police Exploring?
The Prince William County Police Explorer program provides youth with the knowledge of the law enforcement function in their community, and it gives them an idea of day-to-day police operations. Involvement in the Police Exploring program establishes an awareness of the complexities of police service.
Police Exploring is a "Learning for Life" career education program which is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. It is open to young women and men who are interested in careers in the law enforcement field.
What do the Prince William County Police Explorers do?
Police Explorers are involved in training sessions twice a month at various locations throughout the County, which familiarize the members with all aspects of law enforcement. These training sessions are held between September and May. Additionally, an Explorer Academy is held for two weeks each July (watch the video, below).
The aspects of law enforcement that Police Explorers become familiar with include patrol and arrest procedures, traffic stops, traffic and criminal law, criminal investigations, crash investigations and firearms safety. The program brings the Explorer into direct contact with members of the Police Department through meetings, observation of our Public Safety Communications Center and the ride-along program.
What are the requirements to be a Prince William County Police Explorer?
- Be 14 years of age (entering 9th grade), through 18 years of age (participants may remain in the program until their 21st birthday under special conditions).
- Be a United States citizen or a legal permanent resident.
- Have proof of active enrollment in school and maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA while in the program.
- Be drug free, including tobacco and alcohol.
- Have good moral character as determined by a background check and must not have a criminal or gang background or involvement.
- Successfully complete a panel interview at a regularly-scheduled monthly meeting.
- Have a 100 percent commitment to attend mandatory meetings and assigned activities (at least two meetings a month).
In order for all the requirements to be met, applications received after April 19th of each year will not be processed until the next school year begins.
How much does it cost to join the Police Explorers?
Dues for the Prince William County Police Explorers are $30 annually; however cost is not a barrier to participation, so all are encouraged to apply.
How do I obtain further information on the Prince William County Police Explorers?
See your School Resource Officer, or call 703-792-4413 for more information, or get a brochure