Sign In

Trending Searches: Job OpportunitiesParks | Library

Lost and Found Pets
​​Prince William County Animal Control 
Lost Pets
lost dog.jpgTo report your missing pet, call the Animal Shelter at 703-792-6465. A voicemail can be left -- the voice-mailbox is checked periodically throughout the workday and your call will be returned. After 5 p.m., call the Police non-emergency number at 703-792-6500. You may also print and fill out an Animal Control Bureau Lost Card and fax it to the Animal Shelter 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our fax number is 703-791-6710. You may also email the information to 
It is helpful to attach a clear, recent photo of your pet to the email. When a person calls to report a missing pet, and the animal is not currently at the Animal Shelter, a lost card is filled out by the staff member taking the call. Naturally, the more complete the information, the better the chances that the animal will be identified if it comes into the Shelter. 
Should your dog be picked up running-at-large by the Animal Control Officer, you may redeem them at the Animal Shelter during the following hours -- Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday-Monday and holidays, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  By law, your dog or cat is required to have a current rabies vaccination and you must show proof that your dog possesses a valid County dog license.
If you arrive during the hours that the Animal Shelter is closed, you will need to knock on the door, or call 703-792-6500, for assistance. You will also be required to pay a boarding fee of $15 per day for each day your dog has been retained plus a $30 impoundment fee. This fee includes the initial distemper combo vaccination, intranasal bordatella vaccination and microchip, if desired.
What You Can Do to Help Find a Lost Pet
  • Call the Animal Shelter at 703-792-6465. After 5 p.m., call the Police non-emergency number at 703-792-6500 or email the description of the animal, location lost, and contact information to If your missing pet is not already there, leave information to complete a lost card.
  • Search your immediate neighborhood.
  • Broaden your search by a mile each day, up to three miles.
  • Visit the Animal Shelter and look at the animals impounded. ALSO, ask staff for information on injured or sick animals, or animals in quarantine.
  • Contact the Virginia Department of Transportation to see if your pet was removed from the roadway and disposed of by that agency.
If you locate your pet, please advise the shelter so the lost card can be removed from the file.
​VDOT main customer service line in Northern Virginia    -     703-383-VDOT (8368)

Found Pets 

imagesCA4KTE3P.jpgAnimals that have been found by a resident must either be turned over to the Animal Shelter or a Found Report must be placed with the Shelter (per state law 3.2-6551). The person finding an animal may call Police Communications at 703-792-6500, to request an Animal Control Officer come to their location and pick up the animal, or the person may bring the animal to the Animal Shelter at 14807 Bristow Road. 
To place a Found Report with the Shelter, call 703-792-6465 or email us at An animal is more likely to find its way back to its owner if taken to the Animal Shelter for several reasons:
        • The owner of a lost animal may not call us to report that their animal is missing -- they may simply come to the Shelter and look.
      • The finder of the animal may incorrectly identify the breed or sex of the animal, thus causing a non-match with a lost card we may have on file.
      • The Animal Shelter is able to scan for microchips and track any tattoos the animal may have
        The law also provides that a person finding the animal may have the right of first refusal to adopt the animal if the owner does not come forward in the time allotted by law.
      • For further information about what to do if you find a lost or stray dog, please click the link.

For further information about adopting a found animal, call the Animal Shelter at 703-792-6465.


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.