Prince William County Animal Control
Pet Care In Emergencies
Should you ever have to evacuate your home, have you made plans for the pets that live in your household? Below are checklist items for each of your pets. We also provide links to outside agencies offering more information on caring for your pets during an emergency. Prepare disaster kits today for all of the animals in your care!
Disaster Preparedness Animal Supplies Checklist
Keep at least one week’s supply stored in airtight containers.
Rotate food every three months.
Include a can opener, spoon and an extra bowl.
- Your pet should always wear a collar and tag.
- Identify your animal permanently with a microchip.
- Keep current photos of your animals.
- Include yourself in some photos as proof of ownership.
- Prepare or buy a basic animal first-aid kit and book.
- Include at least one week's supply of any long-term medications.
- Create a collar tag indicating medical needs of your pet.
- Prepare a small container of dish soap and disinfectant.
- Include several rolls of paper towels and plastic bags.
Disaster Preparedness Animal Supplies Checklists
BIRDS, REPTILES AND RABBITS
- At least one week’s supply of cage liners.
- A long-handled net, heavy towel and blanket.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- An evacuation cage or carrier.
- Pooper scooper and/or small plastic bags.
- Collapsible crate or kennel.
- Harness, leash and cable/screw stake.
- Extra litter box and scooper.
- One week’s supply of litter.
- Small plastic airline kennel.
- Harness and leash.
- Halter and lead rope for each animal.
- Extra feeding bucket, water trough, salt lick and tie-out rope.
- Clean garbage cans for large quantities of water.
- Two weeks’ supply of bedding materials.
- Fence panels to create smaller enclosures.
- Manure fork.
Also include a copy of medical records for all animals; identify a contact person outside the disaster area, and find a place outside the disaster area that will take your animals. Before a disaster occurs, make plans to take your animals with you.