FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 27, 2018
PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, VIRGINIA . . . On average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States, according to the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV). Over the course of a year, that equals more than 12 million women and men.
While domestic violence can happen in any relationship – regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or other factors – the vast majority of victims who report violence are women abused by male partners or ex-partners. Consider these statistics from the NRCDV:
- At some point in their lifetimes, one in four women has been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner, while one in seven men has experienced severe physical violence by an intimate partner.
- Among women and men who experience rape, stalking or physical violence by an intimate partner, 81 percent of women, and 35 percent of men, report serious impacts such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms and injury.
- A woman is far more likely to be killed by her spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member than she is by a stranger.
Given these statistics, it is likely that you know someone who has been abused. They may be your friends, family members, neighbors or co-workers. Domestic violence takes its toll on our communities as well, contributing to other forms of violence and suffering, burdening us with huge medical and criminal-justice costs, and decreasing workplace productivity.
If you or someone you know and love needs assistance, call:
Prince William County Police
- Emergency: 9-1-1
- Non-emergency: 703-792-6500
Prince William County ACTS
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 703-221-4951
- Community Awareness and Education. Call 703-221-4460
National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (7233) | 1-800-787-3224 TTY
Secure online chat: http://www.thehotline.org/what-is-live-chat/
National Dating Abuse Helpline
1-866-331-9474 | Text "loveis" to 22522
Secure online chat: http://www.loveisrespect.org/get-help/contact-us/chat-with-us