PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, VIRGINIA…The Police Department reminds all those who plan on using alcohol on Super Bowl Sunday to act responsibly by designating a sober driver before the big game begins on Feb. 3, 2019.
Super Bowl Sunday is one of America's biggest and most entertaining national sporting events as friends and families gather to watch the big game each year. Yet, it can be one of the year's most dangerous days on the nation's roadways, due to impaired driving-related traffic crashes.
If you are attending a Super Bowl party:
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself – eat, take breaks, alternate with non-alcoholic drinks;
- Designate your sober driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys;
- If impaired, don't even think about getting behind the wheel. Ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab or service, friend or family member to come and get you; or stay where you are and sleep it off until you are sober;
- Take the keys and never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
If you are hosting a Super Bowl party:
- Serve lots of food – particularly high-protein dishes – and be sure to include lots of non-alcoholic beverages;
- Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game – and begin serving coffee and dessert;
- Be sure all of your guests designate their drivers in advance, or help arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers;
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving while impaired.
For more information on this initiative, please call the Traffic Safety Unit at 703-792-7254.