Police Ride-Along Program
The Police Department offers the opportunity for individuals to ride-along with a police officer during a normal tour of duty, and experience an officer’s day-to-day duties and responsibilities.
Criminal justice students, and those interested in a career in law enforcement, have found it particularly useful. The Ride-Along program fosters a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of a police officer’s role in the community.
- Citizens 18 years of age and older may participate.
- No one shall ride until approval has been granted, and a properly completed application and release has been reviewed and signed by the appropriate District Commander or Watch Commander.
- Approved applicants are limited to one (1) ride-along per year. Members of a Neighborhood Watch group are permitted one (1) ride-along every six (6) months.
- A records check will be made of all Ride-Along candidates.
- The duration of the ride is at the discretion of the on-duty supervisor.
How do you sign up for a Ride-Along?
NOTE: you must have the application notarized prior to submitting it.
You may drop-off the application to the appropriate police station, or send it by mail to the address below. You will be contacted after your application has been received.
Completing the Ride-Along form does not guarantee that your request will be approved.
Eastern District Police Station (Gar-Field)
15948 Donald Curtis Dr.
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Western District Police Station (Paul T. White, Jr., Bldg.)
8900 Freedom Center Blvd.
Manassas, VA 20110
Ride-Along Rules of Conduct
The Ride-Along participant must agree to abide by the following rules of conduct:
- Participants shall, at all times, remain under the complete control of the assigned officer and comply with all directions. No interference with the performance of the officer shall be permitted.
- Citizens are not permitted to accompany the officer in the booking area when prisoners are being processed.
- Participants are not allowed to carry a firearm.
- All cameras and recording devices are prohibited.
- Participants are required to present a neat, clean appearance (no jeans).
- Any information overheard regarding a criminal investigation is confidential in nature and the participant shall not discuss the information with anyone.