To receive a Peddler, Solicitor, or Vendor license, the following items must be presented to the Police Department's Licensing Section:
· Solicitor - Peddler - Vendor Application (download the application) – Complete the entire application and bring it to the Licensing Section. The application must be presented in person by the applicant and must be notarized by the Licensing Section. There is no charge for notary services. Valid identification is required (see below).
· $5,000 Personal Surety Bond - Each individual solicitor is required to post a $5,000 personal surety bond, in the name of the individual solicitor as principal -- not the company -- and naming the Prince William Board of County Supervisors as obligee at 1 County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192. The bond may be obtained through an insurance agency.
o Note: The original bond must be presented to the licensing section. Copies, faxes, or any other reproductions will not be accepted.
· Valid Identification
o All applicants must have:
§ Current driver’s license with photograph or a valid DMV photograph ID card with current address
§ Valid Social Security card
o Proof of Citizenship – (required if):
§ The applicant is a U.S. citizen, but not born in the U.S.; then he or she must show proof of citizenship. Only one of two documents will be accepted as proof: a valid U.S. passport or a naturalization certificate.
§ The applicant is not a U.S. citizen; then he or she must show a valid Resident Alien card, or another official document issued by the ICE or the State Department, before a permit will be issued to the applicant.
· $20 Processing Fee - There is a $20 processing fee for each application. Payment may be made in cash, or with the following credit/debit cards: American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
· Vehicle Information (if applicable) - Those vendors using a vehicle during the course of solicitor/vendor/peddler sales -- examples include ice cream trucks or snack trucks -- MUST present a valid vehicle registration card and proof of insurance for the vehicle.
· DCJS registration (if applicable) – Individuals who will be selling alarm services must be registered as an “Electronic Security Sales Representative” by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justices Services. Proof of compliance must be presented before a permit will be issued. Click here for more information.
· Health Department Certificate (if applicable) – Any individual or company that will be selling food items that are not prepackaged may need to be inspected by the Health Department. A letter will be given to the applicant by the Licensing Section which will need to be taken to the Health Department and brought back to the Licensing Section. If a Health Department certificate is required, a copy of the certificate must be presented to the licensing department Licensing Section prior to the permit being issued.
· Temporary Activity Permit (if applicable) - Required if the applicant will be operating from a temporary location. A letter will be given to the applicant by the Licensing Section, which will need to be taken to the Prince William County Zoning Office and brought back to the Licensing Section. If a Temporary Activity Permit is required, it must be presented to the Licensing Section prior to the solicitor/vendor permit being issued.
The Prince William County Zoning Office is located at 5 County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192. Call 703-792-6830 for more information.
At the time the application is received, all new applicants will be fingerprinted and photographed. The Licensing Section staff will then conduct a background investigation and will either approve or disapprove the application. This process could take as long as 21 (twenty-one) days to be finalized.
Additional Company Information
· Prince William County Business License - You MUST submit your solicitor application to the Police Department and gain permit approval BEFORE you obtain your business license. A business license, if needed, may be obtained from the Prince William County Business License Office, 1 County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192. Call 703-792-6710 for more information. A copy of the business license must be presented to the Police Department Licensing Section staff before the solicitor's permit will be issued. The annual license tax for peddlers and itinerant vendors is $500 for each business or location.
Questions should be directed to the Police Department's Licensing Section at 703-792-6552.