Law Enforcement Explorers Post #1268
What is Police Exploring?
The Prince William County Police Explorer program provides youth with the knowledge of the law enforcement function in their community, and it gives them an idea of day-to-day police operations. Involvement in the Police Exploring program establishes an awareness of the complexities of police service.
Police Exploring is a "Learning for Life" career education program which is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America. It is open to young women and men who are interested in careers in the law enforcement field.
What are the requirements to be a Prince William County Police Explorer?
- Be 14 years of age (entering 9th grade), through 18 years of age (participants may remain in the program until their 21st birthday under special conditions).
- Be a United States citizen or a legal permanent resident.
- Have proof of active enrollment in school and maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA while in the program.
- Be drug free, including tobacco and alcohol.
- Have good moral character as determined by a background check and must not have a criminal or gang background or involvement.
- Have a 100 percent commitment to attend mandatory meetings and assigned activities (at least two meetings a month).
What do the Prince William County Police Explorers do?
Police Explorers are involved in training sessions twice a month at various locations throughout the County, which familiarize the members with all aspects of law enforcement. This includes patrol and arrest procedures, traffic stops, traffic and criminal law, criminal investigations, crash investigations and firearms safety. The program brings the Explorer into direct contact with members of the Police Department through meetings, observation of our Public Safety Communications Center and the ride-along program.
How much does it cost to join the Police Explorers?
Dues for the Prince William County Police Explorers are $30 annually; however cost is not a barrier to participation, so all are encouraged to apply.
How do I obtain further information on the Prince William County Police Explorers?
See your School Resource Officer, or call 703-792-5590 for more information, or get a brochure