Motion Detectors and Holiday Decorations
1. Always ensure that hanging or moving decorations will not activate motion detectors, especially when heating systems come on.
2. If you don’t know the location of your motion detectors, or the area they cover, contact your alarm company for assistance. They should be able to tell you what your motion sensors “see” and you will be better able to avoid potential false alarms.
3. Once your decorations have been placed, inspect everything to make sure they do not interfere with any window or door contacts for your alarm system.
4. Firmly secure outdoor lights around doors and windows so that they will not activate glass break detectors in the event of winds or storms.
5. Check doors and windows for cracks or a loose fit in the frame, as inclement weather and wind gusts during the winter season could cause false alarms.
6. If your doors and windows are loose, coordinate their repair with your alarm company to avoid unnecessary false alarms.
For more information, or to register your alarm system with the Prince William County Police Department, please call the False Alarm Reduction Unit at 703-792-7281.