Criminal Background Checks
Need to obtain a Criminal History Background Check?
A local Prince William County Criminal History Background Check can be performed for those who can prove their Prince William County residency and/or arrest. You must have two forms of proper identification, one of which must be a photo ID showing your date of birth. The only acceptable forms of ID are a valid driver's license or a DMV-issued identification card, a valid passport, a valid Social Security card, an official birth certificate or a valid military ID.
The fee for this service is $6. The only accepted forms of payment are cash, money order, or the following credit/debit cards: American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. The record check may take as long as 72 hours to complete.
The Police Department Records Section is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays), and is located at 8400 Kao Circle, Euclid Business Center, Manassas, VA 20110. The phone number is 703-792-6562.
Can't come in person but you need the local Prince William County Criminal History Background Check? Simply mail the documents listed below to the Prince William County Police Department, Records Section, 8400 Kao Circle, Manassas, VA 20110.
- A copy of your Social Security card (or a photocopy of your unexpired U.S. passport).
- A photocopy of your valid driver's license.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope.
- A notarized letter stating that you give the Police Department permission to complete a record check.
- Indicate your current address (including APO if applicable).
- Enclose a money order for $6 (six dollars U.S.) payable to PWC Director of Finance-- cash and checks are NOT accepted.
- The requested information will be mailed back in your self-addressed stamped envelope -- generally within 72 hours of receipt of your information.
If you need a Virginia (statewide) background check, you must contact the Virginia State Police.
If you need a national background check, you must contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).