A Law Enforcement and Business Partnership
Prince William County Police
Crime Prevention Unit
What is this program?
To stay current in addressing new crime and safety issues within the business community and to take the concept of Business Watch to another level the Prince William County Police Department's Crime Prevention Unit has developed the Certified Crime Prevention Business Program. This free program is available to businesses in Prince William County and its incorporated towns!
The purpose of the program is to encourage businesses to become more involved in reducing the opportunity for crimes to occur at their establishments. This is accomplished by raising awareness and increasing communication and cooperation between businesses and the Police Department. Businesses will also be required to re-certify periodically.
Read about the certification process the business strategy and incentives for making your business a Certified Crime Prevention Business. Through the links you may download a copy of the brochure and the program manual for retail establishments. Check this site from time to time for important updates and other information!
The Certified Crime Prevention Business program is built around four elements:
- Have written policies/procedures in place that address crimes or threats relevant to your particular business.
- Train employees in crime prevention as approved by or from the Crime Prevention Unit.
- Obtain on-site security assessments of your business by Crime Prevention Unit personnel who are trained in the principles and application of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED).
- Designate a contact person who can coordinate crime prevention/security issues and act as a liaison with the Police Department.
There are mandatory and optional business safety elements to include in your business' crime prevention policies. The Crime Prevention Unit will work with your business to help you implement the elements that apply.
Mandatory elements include: robbery prevention burglary prevention shoplifting prevention vendor theft prevention internal theft prevention consumer fraud prevention workplace violence prevention emergency preparedness and underage tobacco/alcohol sales prevention.
Optional elements include: background checks gang/drug awareness curfew and truancy awareness homeland security training National Night Out support joining Fleet Watch use of security cameras partnering with the Prince William Crime Prevention Council supporting the Crime Solvers program displaying crime prevention brochures or getting training in Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED).
- The possibility of reduced insurance premiums depending on circumstances and the terms of your insurance company.
- Free risk-reduction/security assessment and report.
- Free crime-prevention training/technical assistance in developing written crime prevention policies.
- Crime alerts to member businesses.
- Quarterly informative crime-prevention newsletter.
- Marketing tool for Certified Crime Prevention Business designation.
- A visible sign that sends a clear message that the business is serious about crime prevention.
Contact the Crime Prevention Unit at 703-792-7270 for more information