To apply for zoning approval for an open deck*, applicant must appear in person with the following:
- Three (3) copies of the house location survey plat with the proposed deck drawn to scale.
Plat must be to scale and clearly show the surveyor's seal, signature, and scale used. (For condominium units, applicant must provide three (3) copies of the approved Prince William County site plan and a letter from the condominium owners' association authorizing the deck).
- A processing fee payable in cash, check, or credit card.
- A Special Power of Attorney Affidavit is required if the applicant is not the homeowner or a registered Prince William County contractor.
- If plat shows buffer areas, deck may have to remain outside these areas, depending on the type of buffer.
- If property is identified as RPA (Resource Protection Area) on the overlay district map, written approval from Public Works Watershed Management (703-792-7070) is required prior to zoning approval. Visit the GIS County Mapper on the County's website to check for RPA and other zoning Overlay Districts.
- For required setbacks for open decks, check Section 32-300.06 of the Prince William County Zoning Ordinance. Modified Planned Mixed Residential (PMR) standards may have been approved for any individual subdivision in the following zoning districts: Residential Planned Community (RPC), Urban Residential Multi-Family (R-16), Planned Mixed Development (PMD), Suburban Residential (R-6), and Planned Mixed Residential (PMR). Zoning staff will verify setbacks before issuing zoning approval.
- *If the deck has a roof, it is no longer a deck, it is an addition. Click here to view information on residential additions.
- After zoning approval is issued, applications for deck permits must be submitted to the Building Plan Review Division, for review. Decks that do not fall within the County's typical deck category are reviewed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. only. For questions regarding deck permits and submission requirements, contact Building Plan Review at 703-792-4040.
For more information on Decks, call 703-792-6830.