You are invited to attend a Town Hall/Charrette for the Dale City Small Area Plan!
Please note the change in venue. Dates and times are the same.
County staff will host two meetings:
Monday, March 11, 2019 and Thursday, March 14, 2019
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Regional Center for Workforce Education & Training (WRC) Ballroom
The event consists of exercises, utilizing existing documents, maps, and background information, to create a vision for the future of Dale City. Attendance on both nights is strongly encouraged, since the Thursday night meeting will build on the efforts of the Monday night meeting.
The Dale City Small Area Plan is unique because it is refining several recent studies. The Dale City Sustainable Design Assessment Team and the Dale City Transportation and Land Use Connections grant projects have been recently completed. Each of these studies included public and stakeholder outreach in order to develop recommendations on how to maximize and improve existing communities in Dale City. A small area plan offers an opportunity to revisit and synthesize existing plans and studies and consolidate them into a small area plan with a single vision and implementation plan.
The Small Area Plan process consists of the following tasks:
Task 1: Conduct Background Research (Complete)
Task 2: Hold Preliminary Stakeholder Meetings (Complete)
- Meet with County agencies, external agencies, and other stakeholders to collect additional background information
- Link to notes from stakeholder meeting(s):
- September 20, 2018
- January 18, 2019
Task 3: Hold a Public Town Hall Visioning and Design Charrette (Active Task)
- Introduce the small area plan project and charrette process
- Conduct SWOT analysis for the development of the vision, goals, objectives, and design guidelines
- Conduct an exercise exploring the site analysis of existing conditions including assets and liabilities in the study area
- Conduct a visioning exercise to create goals and objectives
- Draft plan alternatives
- Identify common themes
Task 4: Draft Document
- Staff will draft the plan based on the findings of the background research, stakeholder meetings, town hall meeting, and charrette with particular emphasis on:
- Strategic plan implementation
- Design guidelines
- Economic development analysis
- Implementation and phasing plan
- Conduct a visual preference survey in order to help establish design objectives/guidelines. Below are some potential VPS topics for a study area:
- Sidewalks and trails including bicycles
- Public/open spaces
Task 5: Hold a PC Work Session
- Present project draft and provide opportunity for review/comments from the public and the Planning Commission
Task 6: Public Hearing Process
- Planning Commission Hearing
- Board of County Supervisors Hearing
Benefit to Prince William County
The goal of this small area plan is to identify strategies to create opportunities to develop mixed-use communities in established areas of Dale City. Additionally, the plan will provide for improved pedestrian safety and connectivity and a sense of place. This plan will benefit Prince William County by ensuring long-tem economic and social viability through a series of achievable action strategies. This project will have the opportunity to address Prince William County's Strategic Plan goals and identify necessary improvements to the multi-modal transportation network with a focus on safety and connectivity. As a result of this study, the County also expects to highlight the potential for mixed-use communities, increased private sector investment, and improved transportation infrastructure.
Questions or comments
This page will be updated when meeting dates are scheduled. Questions, comments, or concerns may be submitted to the Planning Office at 703-792-7615, through the comment form, or by email to Ryan Foster, Community Development Manager, at email@example.com.