The 19-acre Buckland Historic Overlay District is located on both sides of Route 29 near the Fauquier County border. Buckland was established in 1798 as the first inland town in the County and is significant historically and architecturally as representative of the small, mill-oriented communities that characterized much of the region from this date to the mid-19th Century. The district's focal point is a grist mill which was constructed in 1899; believed to be the third mill constructed on this site. The mill is surrounded by a dozen buildings dating from the late 18th to mid-19th Centuries, now almost all residential, which once served a variety of commercial uses for the community. Buckland was also significant for its prominent position as a wagon stop on the main east-west road between Alexandria and Warrenton, and was visited by Lafayette on his farewell tour of the United States in 1824.