Prince William County Department of Parks and Recreation programs are inclusion based activities. We make every effort to work with families to mainstream children with special needs into any of our programs.
Depending upon the type of request and/or type of modification being requested, participation in a program may be dependent on scheduling and/or contracting specialized staff, which could impact days/times of the program. Therefore, in order to create a successful and enjoyable environment for your child, your request must be received, at least 21 business days prior to the start of the program.
If you are requesting any type of modification for your child, please submit the inclusion request form (available on this web site) to Lisa Herr, Children’s Program Manager - email
For the safety and enjoyment of all participants, we have established basic participation skills required of each participant in order to take part in a Department of Parks and Recreation Program. Participants must be able to meet these standards with minimal assistance. If your child would require additional assistance and/or modifications to meet these participating skills, then an inclusion request should be completed.
- Actively participate in planned activities for the duration of the program
- Be able to function within a 1:15 staff to participant ratio
- Will not require one-on-one supervision
- Able to understand, follow and accept directions
- Takes turns and shares in a cooperative manner
- Respect others and their property
- Able to stay with his/her assigned group
- Able to maintain self-control
- Must be able to maintain personal care i.e. eat, clothe and function independently
Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA Therapists)
If your child is currently working with an ABA Therapist and you are requesting that the therapist, as part of the child’s therapy, attend one of our programs, please complete an ABA visit request form and submit to the program manager 21 days prior to the requested visit date
- ABA therapists must have documentation that they have passed a criminal background check as well as a Central Registry Check in order to enter the classroom/program.
- Due to capacity reasons within a classroom, visitation may be denied and/or alternates dates and times will be considered and agreed upon.