A Community of Choice for All.
In accordance with the requirements of title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended (ADA), Prince William County Department of Parks and Recreation will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in the County’s services, programs, or activities.
Prince William County has several adapted recreation and leisure facilities that are available for residents with disabilities.
We make every effort to work with families and patrons to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Depending upon
the type of request and/or type of accommodation being requested, participation in a program may be dependent on scheduling and/or contracting specialized staff, which could impact days/times of the program. In order to create a
successful and enjoyable environment for you or your child, your request must be received, at least 21 business days
prior to the start of the program.
For the safety and enjoyment of all participants, the Prince William County Parks and Recreation Department has developed a list of participation standards. Program participants must be able to demonstrate the following with minimal redirection and support.
- Actively participate in planned activities for the duration of the program
- Able to function within a group setting and will not require 1:1 support
- Able to understand, follow and accept directions
- Takes turns and shares in a cooperative manner
- Respect others and their property
- Able to stay with his/her assigned group
- Able to maintain self-control
- Able to maintain personal care i.e. eat, clothe and function independently
If you anticipate that you or your child will need assistance to meet one or more of these participation standards, please contact the ADA Coordinator and begin the Inclusion Process.
If your child is currently working with a therapist, you may request that the therapist, as part of the child's plan, attend one of our programs. Please complete the Classroom Visitation request form and submit to the ADA Coordinator 21 days prior to the requested visit date. Please note:
- For our licensed preschool programs therapists must have documentation that they have passed a criminal background check as well as a Central Registry Check in order to enter the classroom.
- Due to capacity reasons within a classroom or program, visitation may be denied and/or alternates dates and times will be considered and agreed upon.
The Prince William County Grievance Procedure under the Americans with Disabilities Act can be found here. All other Parks and Recreation related inquiries can be directed to the ADA Coordinator listed on this page.
For more information or questions, please contact Veronica Laughman at email@example.com or mail to:
Veronica Laughman, ADA Coordinator
Birchdale Recreation Center
14730 Birchdale Avenue
Woodbridge, VA 22193
Phone: (703) 792-8066 * 711 TTY *