Sign In

Trending Searches: Job OpportunitiesParks | Library

Housing & Community Development
Becoming a Housing Choice Voucher Landlord
Becoming a Housing Choice Voucher Landlord
Potential and Current Housing Choice Voucher Landlords
OHCD conducts landlord briefings to assist landlords in becoming familiar with the Housing Choice Voucher Program and regulations. Briefings include such topics as rent increases landlord-tenant legal responsibilities and eviction procedures. Prospective Section 8 Landlords and current owners may attend the Office of Housing and Community Development's Standard Landlord Briefings on the:
 first Wednesday of every month from 1 - 3 p.m
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge VA  22191
For more information contact the Office of Housing and Community Development at 703-792-7530.
How do I lease to a Housing Choice Voucher Family?
Go to the Virginia Housing Search website at and register, list properties, Add Visuals, Add Details, Update anytime.  Or Just Call and they will help you or do it all for you, (877) 428-8844. 
When an eligible applicant contacts you and you choose to rent a unit to a Housing Choice Voucher participant complete and submit the following forms:

After the forms are submitted OHCD will conduct a Housing Quality Standards inspection as soon as possible usually within 10 to 15 days. If the unit passes inspection OHCD will enter into a contract with the landlord. The landlord and tenant enter into a lease contract and supply a copy to OHCD. The beginning date of the lease must coincide with the beginning date of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract. After submission of the signed contract and a copy of the signed lease HAP payments will be mailed to the landlord.

Basic Program Leasing
Program participants will present prospective landlords with a Voucher which indicates their estimated contribution and the number of bedrooms for which their families qualify. Tenants will pay 30 percent of their adjusted income 10 percent of the gross income or $25 whichever is higher. In addition, they can choose to pay up to 10 percent of their adjusted income in order to rent a unit in which the gross rent exceeds the payment standard. OHCD will pay the remainder of rent directly to the landlord up to the payment standard for the bedroom size of the unit or the bedroom size to which the family is entitled whichever is lower.
Current Federal Income Limits
Please click the link to view current local income limits: Federal Income Limits
Features of the Housing Choice Voucher Program
Tenants can pay between 30-40 percent of their adjusted income to rent a unit. Landlords can charge whatever security deposit they charge private market tenants up to two months contract rent.

Following the initial lease landlords can request a rent increase by giving the housing agency and tenant at least 60 days prior written notice. The rent requested must be reasonable according to similar properties in the same complex or subdivision.
Advantages of Leasing to a Housing Choice Voucher Participant
  • Receive regular monthly payments from OHCD which will cover a significant portion of rent.
  • Units are kept occupied and profitable.
  • Landlords screen and select tenants.
  • OHCD will work with you to advise and assist if you have any problems concerning your tenant.
  • If tenant's income is reduced his or her portion of rent will be adjusted and the Housing Assistance portion will be increased.
  • Participants are screened by OHCD for prior criminal activity.
  • You will be providing the most important ingredient in a family's life - stable housing.
  • You will receive free training throughout the year on topics of interest to every landlord such as landlord-tenant law maintenance and repair lead-based paint requirements and topics of your choice.

 Payment Standards

Note:  Payment Standard (PS) for unit sizes larger than 6 Bedrooms are calculated by adding 15% to each extra bedroom.

MANUFACTURERED HOUSE SPACE (FMR's) - HCVP- Effective Dec. 1, 2012 Space Rent -PS (The FMR for a manufactured home space is generally 40 percent of the published FMR for a two-bedroom unit) 615

OHCD must approve the contract rent for the unit. The payment standard includes rent and utilities. Prince William County's payment standards are set at 10 percent above the Fair Market Rent (FMR) established by the local HUD office.


Housing Quality Standards Inspection (HQS)
Federal regulations require that prior to an initial move-in OHCD must perform an inspection to ensure the unit is decent safe and sanitary. The tenant should not sign a lease until the unit has passed inspection. Following the initial inspection OHCD is required to do an annual inspection to coincide with recertification of the tenant. If there are deficiencies landlords are given a minimum of thirty (30) days written notice to make repairs unless the repairs are 'life-threatening.' Items that normally present a problem are: 1) inoperable or missing smoke detectors 2) burners on the stove or oven which do not light 3) chipping or peeling paint and 4) screens which are not in good condition on all windows. The HQS inspection covers basic items in the home such as hot and cold water electrical outlets in each room refrigerator and stove heating etc. Landlords are encouraged to inspect their units on a regular schedule to monitor how the tenant is maintaining the unit and to inspect the property each year prior to the OHCD inspection to make any repairs that might cause the unit to fail inspection.
Effective Sept. 15 1999 HUD published regulations concerning the abatement of lead paint in all types of housing. The rule became effective Sept. 15 2000. The rule covers the elimination of possible lead poisoning from houses built before 1978. If you have concerns about HUD's rule concerning lead paint contact HUD at:


Lead Paint Compliance Center
Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control


Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street SW
Room P3206
Washington DC  20410-0500
Toll-Free Number: 1-866-HUD-1012
or contact the Environmental Protection Agency or HUD


Resources for Landlords (source: Washington Post):

IRS Publication 527 Residential Rental Property or 800-829-3676
Becoming a Landlord by Fannie Mae. Available through the Consumer Resource Center 800-732-6643.
Training classes are available in selected cities:
Every Landlord's Legal Guide by Nolo Press 800-992-6656
American Association of Small Property Owners 202-625-8330
National Real Estate Investors Association 888-762-7342



You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.