On Thursday, December 6th at 2:00 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a three-story multi-family unit at The Oaks apartment complex, 3900 Soundview Circle in Triangle.
Upon first arrival, units were notified that everyone was safely out of the building and directed to the location of the fire. Firefighters proceeded to a kitchen located on the first floor for fire extinguishment. Firefighters searched for further extension; none was found.
Activation of a single fire sprinkler head controlled the fire until firefighters arrived. Smoke detectors were present and activated including the building’s alarm system which alerted the occupants to the fire enabling them to safely evacuate the building.
No injuries were reported.
Red Cross was on scene to assist one displaced resident.
According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the preliminary damage estimate is $10,000.00.
The origin of the fire was the kitchen. The cause has been determined accidental.
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind the public that cooking fires is the leading cause of fires and injuries in the home and unattended cooking is the leading cause of these fires. When cooking:
- Stay in the kitchen.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles that are too close to the heat source.