Sign In

Trending Searches: Job OpportunitiesParks | Library

Fire and Rescue
Fire Incident at River Run Senior Apartments
On Wednesday, April 9th at approximately 1:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire at the River Run Senior Living Apartment complex located in the 13900 block of Hedgewood Drive in Woodbridge.
Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed smoke coming from a first floor apartment and upon entry firefighters located a fire in the kitchen. The fire was contained and extinguished by the activation of a sprinkler head.  Firefighters checked for extension; no further extension was found.
One resident was assessed and treated for smoke inhalation but did not require medical transport.
A Building official was called to the scene to assess the damage and posted the apartment as unsafe.
The Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause as an accidental cooking fire. 
Cooking fires is the number one cause of home fires and injuries. Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind residents to Look When You Cook:
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
  • Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Turn off the stove, if you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time. 
  • Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stove, i.e. oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains.
  • NEVER throw water on a grease fire!  If possible, cover the pot/pan with a lid to smother the fire and turn off the stovetop.  Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For oven fires, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • For microwave fires, leave the door closed, turn the oven off and unplug it from the wall.
  • If the fire does not go out, get outside and call 911.


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.