- The Solar Exemption allows a tax exemption for installed certified solar energy equipment, facilities, or devices.
- The amount of the exemption is based on the certified purchase price and installation of the equipment (documentation of costs must be submitted).
- The tax exemption is granted for a 5 year period as long as the equipment, facilities or devices are used during the tax year.
- Exemptions may be approved for all property types: residential, commercial or industrial.
- The tax exemption is calculated using the base real estate tax rate only and does not include the fire and rescue levy, gypsy moth levy, storm water management fee, or any other special taxing districts.
- Applicant must own the property as of the first day of the taxable year.
- Complete the Solar Energy Systems Certification for Real or Personal Property Tax Exemption.
- Submit certification form, plans, specifications, and drawings of the solar energy equipment, facilities or devices, a brief narrative description for which certification is requested, and documentation of the cost to the Department of Development Services.
Contact the Real Estate Assessments Office at 703-792-6780 for additional information.