Business License

Commercial businesses and individuals engaging in home occupations or self-employment who expect their business gross receipts, or purchases in the case of wholesale merchants, to exceed $250,000 for the license year must file and obtain a business license from the County.
New businesses must apply and remit payment in full within 30 days of the business start date. After 30 days, include late filing penalty of 10% and daily interest calculated at a rate of 10% per annum.
For businesses renewing their license, application and payment are due March 3, 2014. Renewal applications and payments postmarked after March 3, 2014, must include with the license tax payment a late penalty equaling 10% of the tax pulse daily interest calculated at a rate of 10% per annum.
Apply for a License
Prior year license applications:

There is no business license tax for businesses which do not expect gross receipts, or purchases in the case of wholesale merchants, to exceed $250,000 for the license year, but these businesses must still file a business license application.  

  • Applicants for businesses organized as a sole proprietorship or partnership must certify that each and every owner or partner is legally authorized to be present and working in the United States pursuant to all applicable federal laws and regulations.

  • Contractors must submit a Contractor's Certification of Workers' Compensation Insurance (Form 61A).

  • If your contracting business activity is not subject to licensure or certification by the Commonwealth of Virginia, State law requires that you submit a written statement, supported by an affidavit, describing why you are not subject to licensure or certification as a contractor or subcontractor. Certificate of Workers Compensation-Insurance Form-61A.pdf

You must apply for a Business License if your business has a commercial location or you are a contractor.

For businesses who expect to exceed the $250,000 threshold:
  • New businesses must apply for a license and pay the license fee (or BPOL tax) within 30 days from the date of beginning business.
  • Businesses issued a license for the preceding year must apply for a license and pay the license tax by the due date. 

Persons starting a home-based business need to apply for a business license and pay the business license tax if they expect gross receipts to be more than $250,000 per year. The County zoning ordinance requires persons engaged in a home occupation to file and obtain a Home Occupation Certificate

Businesses located in any of the four unincorporated towns in Prince William County (Dumfries, Haymarket, Occoquan and Quantico) should contact their respective town offices for information about the town's business license requirements. 

For more information, refer to the BPOL Ordinance at Chapter 11.1 Licenses Generally - Article II Business Professional and Occupational License.
Persons starting a new business or home-based business in Prince William County should call the Planning Zoning Administration Office at 703-792-6830 and speak with a Zoning Technician.