Regional and State Transportation Planning
The Prince William County Department of Transportation partners with other transportation professionals on regional and state transportation issues to ease traffic congestion and improve safety throughout the Washington Metropolitan Region. Visit these sites for more information about transportation planning: Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
– The Northern Virginia District Office is located in Chantilly Virginia and serves District 9 which includes Arlington Fairfax Loudoun and Prince William County. VDOT plans constructs and maintains all State highways and bridges.
Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB)
- VDOT’s activities are overseen and approved by the CTB. This body is appointed by the Governor of Virginia. Northern Virginia is represented by J. Douglas Koelemay.
Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG)
– This body serves as the regional forum for the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. The region includes Suburban Maryland Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia. Issues discussed include transportation environment health and human services public safety and housing.
Transportation Planning Board (TPB)
– This body serves in MWCOG as the Washington DC metropolitan area’s federally mandated Metropolitan Planning Organization. Transportation projects which use Federal funding must be planned and approved by the TPB.
Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA)
– This body was created by the General Assembly through legislation in 2002. It is charged with approving regional funds and planning regional projects. It also serves a forum to discuss issues at a sub-regional level. The Authority is composed of Arlington Fairfax Loudoun and Prince William County and the Cities of Alexandria Fairfax Falls Church Manassas and Manassas Park.
Potomac-Rappahannock Transportation Commission (PRTC)
– This Commission plans and operates the County’s local and commuter bus system (OmniLink and OmniRide). It also coordinates/manages the County’s commuter assistance program and vanpools. This body includes Prince William and Stafford County and the Cites of Fredericksburg Manassas and Manassas Park.
Virginia Railway Express (VRE)
– The VRE is Northern Virginia’s commuter rail system. This system is planned and operated by a Board that is made up of PRTC and Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) Commissioners. The VRE has two existing lines: one starts in Fredericksburg and the other at Broad Run (Manassas Airport).