Building Development issues Home Improvement Contractor's Licenses in Prince William County. The County has enacted specific ordinances which govern Home Improvement Contractor Licenses. To obtain a Home Improvement Contractor's License, complete the following steps:
Step 1 - Complete the Home Improvement Contractor's License Application.
Step 2 - Provide evidence of Bonding and Insurance.
Step 3 - Submit the completed Home Improvement Contractor's License Application and the Surety Bond to the Building Development Division located at the Development Services Building at 5County Complex Court, Prince William, VA 22192.
Step 4 - Obtain your Prince William County Business License.
Contractor licenses required vary according to the value of the work performed. Requirements for the categories are as follows:
1. All residential work performed up to $1,000 per job:
2. All work performed between $1,000 and $10,000 per job:
- Virginia State Class 'C' License
- Prince William County Home Improvement Contractor's License, if the work is residential
- Posting a $10,000 bond, if the work is residential
- Prince William County Business License
3. All work performed between $10,000 and $120,000 per job:
4. All work performed that is more than $120,000 per job:
Call 703-792-6924 for further assistance.
The Department of Professional and Occupancy Regulation issues and administers state contractor licenses.
See Contractor Licensing Information handout for more information.