Please Note: It is critical that any changes to address, phone number or email be provided to Fire and Rescue Personnel during the selection process. Send changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first step to a successful career with Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue requires an understanding of our selection process. Applicants go through a selection process before being offered a job. Our process is based on the requirement that each candidate be willing to be faithful and trustworthy in their service to the County and its citizens. This requires a thorough review of each applicant's credentials and background.
Our selection process takes approximately six months from application deadline to hiring decision. Please note that Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue screens applicants throughout the process. Not all applicants will proceed through each step. Not all applicants will receive a job offer.
- Employment Application
- Written Test
- Assesses reading comprehension, mechanical and spatial aptitude, mathematical ability and the capacity to comprehend and learn from written instructions
- Personal History Statement
- Assessment tool providing background information about the applicant
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Evaluates your strength, stamina and ability to perform as a Firefighter/EMT (for additional information click here)
- Polygraph Exam
- Assessment tool used to evaluate information provided by the candidate during the selection process
- Psychological Screening
- Screening tool used to assess candidate's ability to perform essential job functions
- Medical Exam and Drug Test
- Screening tool that measures your physical health and ability to perform essential functions
- Panel Interview
- Panel Interview with Fire & Rescue Personnel