On June 2, 2012 at approximately 2:12, fire and rescue units responded to the 14300 block of Newbern Loop in Gainesville for a structure fire. When units arrived, they discovered a fire in the laundry room of a three-story townhouse. Fire and rescue units quickly extinguished the fire; no injuries reported however, one family pet did perish during the incident. The preliminary damage estimate is $60,000.00; the damage displaced two adults and two children. County Police assisted with scene management. The fire is currently under investigation by the Fire Marshal’s Office.
Residential smoke detectors alerted the occupants to this early morning fire allowing them to exit the residence without injury.
The Department of Fire would like to remind residents to check smoke detectors every six months to ensure they are in operational condition.