· Buy only Underwriter’s Laboratory/UL-approved heaters.
o Check with local fire department on the legality of kerosene heater use in your community.
· NEVER fill your heater with gasoline or camp stove fuel.
o Both flare-up easily and increase the risk of fire.
o Use only fuels appropriate for appliance.
· Refuel outside and only after heater has cooled.
· DO NOT use kerosene heaters in small enclosed areas.
o Potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.
§ When using, keep a window ajar or the door open.
· Annually, clean kerosene heaters and replace wicks.
· Buy only heaters with Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) safety listing.
· Be sure it has a thermostat control mechanism and automatically switches off if tipped over.
o ALWAYS unplug when not in use.
· Avoid using extension cords.
o NEVER use frayed or damaged cords.