Memorial Day is just around the corner and as families across the country prepare to grill in celebration of the first summer holiday, the Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (www.pwcgov.org/fire
) would like to remind residents of the regulations and safety recommendations when using grills and smokers.Regulations
- County code Section 9.1-45, prohibits the use and storage of any device that uses flammables, i.e. gasoline, charcoal lighter, liquefied petroleum gas or propane on a balcony.
- Use grills or smokers within 15 feet of any apartment, condominium or building/structure.
- Constantly attend to grill or smoker when in use.
Grill Safety Tips
- Use long-handled grilling tools to provide clearance from heat and flames when cooking.
- Periodically check and remove grease/fat buildup in trays below the grill. The grease/fat can ignite from the grill’s heat.
- Maintain a three (3) foot safety zone around grill or smoker when in use and during cool down.
- Only use metal containers to dispose of charcoal hot ashes.
- Use grills or smokers within 15 feet of a single-family and townhouse residence.
For additional information on grill safety or grilling requirements for apartments & condominiums, visit our web site www.pwcgov.org/fire, click on Fire Marshal’s Office and click on Fire Safety.