On Wednesday, February 12th at approximately 2:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single-family home located in the 8600 block of Night Watch Court in Gainesville.
Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke showing from the home. Firefighters entered the home and proceeded to attack and extinguish the fire.
Although smoke detectors were present and sounded, the home was vacant when the fire occurred; a family member, who had returned home, found the house engulfed in smoke and called 911.
Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced family; 2 adults, 1 child and a pet.
The home is uninhabitable as posted by the Building official.
The fire is currently under investigation by the Fire Marshal’s Office.
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives. You double your chances of surviving a fire when you install working smoke alarms in your home. Remember to:
- Install smoke detectors on every level within the home including the basement.
- Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as needed.
- Change batteries when you change clocks (spring and fall).
- Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.