Howard Street Fire Incident
For Release
September 18, 2013
On Sunday, September 15th, at approximately 3:00 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single family home located in the 7800 block of Howard Street in Manassas.
 
Upon arrival firefighters discovered a fire in a bedroom.  Firefighters commenced suppression operations and quickly extinguished and contained the fire to the area.
 
One occupant was transported to a local hospital for minor injuries and released.
 
Smoke detectors were present but were inoperable.  
 
According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, property loss is approximately $5,000.
 
The origin of the fire was the bedroom. The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental related to an electrical issue.
 
Building officials were on scene to assess structural damage; except for minor smoke damage, no structural damage was found.
 
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind the public, that when properly installed and maintained, smoke alarms save lives and protect against injury and loss due to fire.  You double your chances of surviving a home fire with working smoke alarms compared to homes without working smoke alarms. To keep you and your family safe follow these life-saving smoke alarm tips:
  • Place a smoke alarm on every level of your home including the basement and inside and outside sleeping areas.   
  • Check smoke alarms monthly by pushing the test button.  If you cannot reach the button easily, use a broom handle. 
  • Change the batteries in your alarms at least once a year or each time you change your clock. (spring forward, fall back).
  • DO NOT remove the batteries from your smoke alarms to put in other appliances.