You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Fire and Rescue
Office of the Chief
Assistant Fire & Rescue Chiefs
Public Safety Gallery
Operations in Action
Special Operations & Hazardous Materials
Potomac Open Water Boat Program
Swift Water Rescue
Confined Space Rescue
Heavy Truck Extrication
Technical Rope Rescue
Structural Collapse Rescue
Emergency Medical Services
Becoming a Firefighter/EMT
EMS Billing Program
Endorsed EMS Providers
Candidate Physical Ability Test Training Facility
Health & Safety
Self-Containing Breathing Apparatus
Fire & Injury Prevention
Residential Sprinklers Save Lives
Local Emergency Planning Committee
Community Safety Programs
News & Information
Line Of Duty Death Reports
Fire Marshal's Office
Public Safety Training Center
Public Safety Communications Center
Office of Emergency Management
Fire & Rescue Association
Departments & Agencies
Fire and Rescue
Emergency Medical Services -- One Mission, One Team
May 16, 2013
The 40th Annual National Emergency Medical Services Week (EMS Week) begins May 19h – 25th. EMS Week celebrates and honors an estimated 700,000 EMS practitioners who serve our communities nationwide. Although EMS Week is a way of publicly acknowledging and thanking them for their tireless efforts, dedication to life and their round the clock commitment to the communities they serve, it’s important to thank them each and every day.
EMS Week is a week in which the community is reminded of what EMS professionals do on a day-to-day basis on our behalf. And while there are many different delivery models for EMS across the country, National EMS Week celebrates all Emergency Medical Service professionals whether government, private, paid or volunteer.
EMS Week began in 1973 as a nationwide celebration of everyday heroes who work in emergency services as Dispatchers, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), Paramedics, and Registered Nurses (RN) working 24 hours a day, 365 days a week serving families in their local communities. In addition to traditional roles as emergency responders, EMS personnel work in emergency departments, helicopters, cardiac catheter labs, doctors’ offices, and occupational and industrial settings. This year, the theme for EMS Week is One Mission, One Team recognizing not only the efforts and sacrifice of these EMS professionals but of those provided by Vehicle Supply Technicians (VST), fleet mechanics, and administrative personnel who dedicate their time and energy to ensure smooth operations throughout the system. Of the EMS systems nationwide, approximately 40% of EMS professionals work for fire departments. The other 60% work for private companies, municipal services, hospital-based services, the military or other federal agencies.
According to the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), EMS treats approximately 25-30 million patients each year with an annual expenditure of about $6.75 billion. Americans depend on EMS to assist with various emergency care needs such as heart disease, cancer, and strokes to individuals involved in traffic accidents, structure fires, and on occasion, the delivery of babies. In 2012, Emergency Medical Services in Prince William County responded to 57,606 incidents. So far this year, EMS has responded to over 20,000 incidents countywide.
Beginning this week and throughout the coming year, take the opportunity to thank your local Emergency Medical Services for their commitment to the community and dedication to saving lives.
Email For Assistance
Copyright Prince William County Government. All Rights Reserved.
Prince William County Government