On Monday, June 4th at approximately 1:30 p.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a two-story single family home located in the 14400 block of Colony Creek Court in Woodbridge.
Upon arrival on the scene, fire and rescue units observed smoke billowing through the roof. Firefighters attacked and quickly extinguished the fire with no injuries.
Smoke detectors alerted the residents about the fire allowing them to safely evacuate the home. One adult and one pet were displaced. Red Cross assistance was not required.
The fire originated in the basement. The cause was a previously damaged and repaired electrical cord. The fire has been determined accidental.
Preliminary damages are estimated at $150,000; the home is valued at $270,000 according to the Fire Marshal’s Office.
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (www.pwcgov.org/fire) would like to remind the public that working smoke alarms installed in your home can reduce the chance of dying in a fire by 50 percent.